EGYPT – Huhtamaki, a global food packaging firm based in Finland, has inaugurated a new state-of-the-art flexible packaging facility in Egypt at an investment worth US$26.03 million.
The food and drinks packaging major said that investment is expected to serve the Egyptian market as well as export market into other African countries as well as Europe.
“The Egyptian market is sizeable, and with the rapid population growth in Africa we expect future growth opportunities both for us and our customers.
Until now we have served flexible packaging customers in Egypt from our units in the United Arab Emirates and India.
With the new plant we can offer our current and new customers – both in Africa and Europe – the same top quality with shorter lead times,” said Olli Koponen, EVP Flexible Packaging.
Located in Cairo, the packaging unit sits on a 37,000 square meters land and is expected to offer approximately 250 employment opportunities as the firm continues to consolidate its position in the packaging business.
According to the firm, Huhtamaki investment in the US$26.03 million manufacturing unit amounts to approximately US$19.24 million representing 75% share while Mr. Ayman Korra financed the remaining 25% at US$6.79 million.
Huhtamaki launches new packaging solution
The firm has also launched a new range of recyclable flexible packaging known as the ‘blueloop’ as it seeks to turn around its packaging solution by offering a circular model-where its used packaging materials are to be collected, recycled and reused.
The blueloop solutions involve innovative polyolefin structures to pack coffee, snacks, dry food, personal care and other fast-moving consumer products which also includes paper-based solutions to replace plastic packaging.
The development features mono-material structures made from Polypropylene (PP), polyethylene (PE) and paper, building on the standard materials that are widely recycled and will have an economically viable use after collection.
“We are committed to offering recyclable solutions for all our flexible packaging product categories.
Huhtamaki blueloop builds on our strong global expertise and experience in flexible packaging manufacturing.
We bring the solutions to market by working closely with our suppliers and customers,” said OIli Koponen, Executive Vice President, Flexible Packaging at Huhtamaki.
Currently, the packaging group boasts of 78 manufacturing units in addition to 24 sales offices across 34 countries and an employee base of approximately 17,700.