Carlsberg acquires 28.5% stake in Portuguese Super Bock Group

EUROPE – The global brewing company, Carlsberg Group has acquired 28.5% stake in Viacer, the major controlling shareholder of the Portugal brewing company, Super Bock Group.

Viacer holds 56% of the shares in the company while Carlsberg will hold the remaining 44% shares in Super Bock Group.

Following the transaction, the Carlsberg group direct and indirect ownership in Super Bock Group has risen to 60%.

“Viacer continues to be controlled by our partner and consequently, Super Bock Group will remain an associated company in the Group accounts,” said the company.

ADVERT

Cees‘t Hart, Carlsberg Chief Executive Officer, indicated that the group is now in a better position in the market.

“We are pleased that we have increased our indirect shareholding in Super Bock Group.

It is a very strong business with a market leading position in Portugal, offering appealing long-term opportunities,” he said

Carlsberg said Super Bock Group “is the market leader in Portugal, holding a market share of 47%” with a portfolio including brands such as Super Bock, Carlsberg and Somersby.

Super Bock Group is a one of the largest beverage companies in Portugal with its activities set up on the business of beers, bottled water, soft drinks, ciders,wine as well as production and sale of malt.

Other than its flagship brand, Carlsberg also brews Tuborg, Kronenbourg, Somersby cider, Baltika and more than 500 local beers.

In the most recent quarterly results, Carlsberg recorded a 7.4% increase in the net revenue which has been greatly attributed to its growth in India and China as well as the positive performance of its alcohol free portfolio.

The firm posted a revenue of US$2.68 billion for the quarter and expects to deliver 10-11% organic growth in operating profit for 2018.

“We’re pleased that we were able to increase our full-year earnings expectations, and we feel confident that 2018 will show solid top-line growth, margin improvement and a healthy cash flow, whilst we have invested significant funds in our strategic priorities to drive the long-term growth of our business,” said Mr Hart earlier on.

Related Posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.