Carlsberg acquires 28.5% stake in Portuguese Super Bock Group

EUROPE – The global brewing company, Carlsberg Group has acquired 28.5% stake in Viacer, the major controlling shareholder of the Portugal brewing company, Super Bock Group. Viacer holds 56% of the shares in the company while Carlsberg will hold the remaining 44% shares in Super Bock Group. Following the transaction, the Carlsberg group direct and…

Kenyan local retail chain Tumaini sells majority stake to Sokoni

KENYA - Tumaini Self Service Limited, one of the emerging supermarket chains in Kenya has sold a majority stake to Sokoni Retail Kenya in a recent consolidation drive in the space. The transaction which has been approved by the Competition Authority of Kenya (CAK) provides the retail chain with capital to expand its business. The…

South Africa’s Famous Brands shuts down 14 Gourmet Burger Kitchen stores

SOUTH AFRICA - Famous Brands, a South African holding company and food service franchiser has closed 14 out of its 17 Gourmet Burger Kitchen (GBK) under-performing stores after the approval of a restructuring plan by creditors,reports Business Day. Indications are that the UK –based stores have been struggling with low consumer spending,rising cost of labour,…

Arla acquires Kraft’s Middle East & Africa cheese business from Mondelez

DENMARK – European dairy cooperative Arla Foods has announced that it has agreed to acquire Mondelez International’s processed cheese business in the Middle East and Africa region, currently licensed under the Kraft brand. The transaction also gives Arla full ownership of a state-of-the-art cheese production site in Bahrain, granting it a strong hold in the…

FrieslandCampina acquires Spanish cheese distributor Millan Vicente

EUROPE – The Dutch multinational dairy cooperative,FrieslandCampina has said that it has acquired Spain based cheese co-packer and distributor Millan Vicente to strengthen its position as a cheese supplier to Spanish and Portuguese consumers. As part of the transaction, Millan Vicente will be fully integrated in the Iberian business of FrieslandCampina. Millan Vicente was founded…

Brazilian food company Marfrig acquires BRF’s Quickfood for US$55m

USA - Marfrig Global Foods, the second largest Brazilian food processing company has acquired 91.89% stake in Argentinean beef products producer, Quickfood for US$55 million. Quickfood, which has three plants in Argentina, was under the control of BRF SA, one of the largest beef producers in the world. The processing units have a daily processing…

Barry Callebaut acquires Burton’s chocolate manufacturing assets in UK

UK – Leading cocoa and chocolate producer, Barry Callebaut has completed the transaction to acquire Burton’s Biscuit Company’s chocolate manufacturing assets in the UK. The company has also entered long-term agreement for the supply of over 12,000 tonnes of chocolate and compound per year to Burton’s Biscuit Company. The acquisition involves chocolate manufacturing assets of…

Zomato acquires TechEagle Innovations for drone-based food delivery

INDIA – One of India’s largest restaurant search and discovery platform, Zomato has announced that it has acquired Lucknow-based developer of customized drones to enhance drone-based deliveries in India. According to ET Retail report, TechEagle will help in creating a hub-to-hub delivery network powered by hybrid multi-rotor drones. TechEagle was founded in 2015 by IIT…

Kerry agrees to supply Renaissance’s acrylamide-reducing yeast technology

CANADA – Ireland based taste and nutrition company, Kerry has signed a license agreement with Renaissance BioScience Corp to supply Renaissance’s yeast technology. The partnership expands Kerry’s clean label offering, will see the food company commercialize Renaissance’s Acryleast, a non-GMO acrylamide-reducing yeast enzyme, to food and beverage manufacturers starting 2019. Acryleast is a natural, non-GMO…

Heineken buys majority stake in Spanish craft brewer La Cibeles

EUROPE – The Dutch brewing company, Heineken has acquired a 51% majority stake in Cervezas La Cibeles, a Spanish microbrewery for an undisclosed amount. With the transaction, Heineken aims to boost the brand’s distribution and export capacity. Based in Madrid, Cervezas La Cibeles is a microbrewery producing small range of artisan beer, with an annual…