RWANDA – Bralirwa Plc, a subsidiary of the Heineken Company, has unveiled its latest investment initiative with the inauguration of a new production line at its brewery in Rubavu District.  

The move underscores the company’s unwavering commitment to meeting customer demands while embracing sustainability in its operations. 

As part of the expansion project, Bralirwa invested over €30 million (US$32M) which included the installation of its inaugurated packaging line.  

This is in line with the company’s commitment to developing the Rwandan beer market for sustainable growth and proactively investing in digital technology and innovation to improve its operations. 

Etienne Saada, Managing Director of Bralirwa, expressed gratitude to the Rwandan government for creating an environment conducive to investment and growth, stating, “This has been made possible by an environment conducive to growth and prosperity, as well as the commitment and dedication of our key stakeholders and employees.” 

With sustainability at the forefront of its agenda, the new production line will operate with reduced energy and water consumption, aligning with Heineken’s ambitious goal of achieving net zero across all production sites by 2030.  

Heineken acquired a stake in Bralirwa in 1971. The Dutch brewing group owns a 75 percent stake in the business, with the remaining 25 percent listed on the Rwanda Stock Exchange. 

Saada emphasized the company’s long-standing commitment to innovation and customer satisfaction, stating, “For the past 67 years, Bralirwa has continuously invested in innovation and growth with a clear goal – to win the hearts of our customers.” 

Bralirwa has also had a licence agreement with the Coca-Cola Co. since 1974. 

Bralirwa financial results 

Meanwhile, despite challenges posed by inflationary pressures and a slowdown in consumer demand, Bralirwa recorded a commendable 16.5 percent increase in revenue for the period ending December 31, 2023.  

This growth was attributed to efficient pricing strategies and the continued success of premium product lines.  

The company’s proactive approach to revenue management offset input cost increases and effectively managed fixed costs, resulting in a notable increase in profit before tax to Rwf 54 billion (US$41.85M). 

Company finance costs increased by 85.6 percent mainly driven by foreign exchange cost following depreciation of the Rwandan franc against the Euro and dollar. 

Looking ahead to 2024, Bralirwa remains focused on investment in brands, innovation, and commercial capabilities to ensure long-term value creation.  

The company acknowledges the importance of adapting to market dynamics and consumer preferences while maintaining a strong commitment to sustainability and responsible business practices. 

Liked this article? Subscribe to Food Business Africa News, our regular email newsletters with the latest news insights from Africa and the World’s food and agro industry. HERE