Malawi to start supply of high-value vegetables from SADC’s largest greenhouse facility

MALAWI – Malawi is set to commence supply of horticultural produce to both local and export markets from its newly established green-house project.

The project is a joint venture between the government agency, Green Belt Authority and global Israeli investment company, Inosselia Agro, under the Public Private Partnership (PPP).

ADVERT

According to the project design, the vegetable farm will comprise of 16 green houses, each covering 1 hectare, on land that has been leased out on long-term basis by Airport Development Limited (ADL).

So far, tonnes of produce of tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, peppers and melons will be harvested from three greenhouses that are currently operational, with the rest nearing completion.

Being one of the biggest greenhouse vegetable farms in southern Africa, it has employed about 200 people.

“This project is one of the critical successes of PPP arrangement. It is in tandem with government’s agenda of agriculture transformation, food security, trade and commerce.”

GBA acting Chief Executive Officer – Amon Mluwira

GBA acting chief executive officer Amon Mluwira said that apart from job creation, the project will facilitate import substitution and will reduce the country’s reliance on horticulture exports from South Africa.

“This project is one of the critical successes of PPP arrangement. It is in tandem with government’s agenda of agriculture transformation, food security, trade and commerce,” he stated.

Inosselia Commercial Limited farm manager Tal Mit revealed that they have entered into agreements with upmarket retail stores such as Spar, Chipiku Plus and Shoprite–to be the points of sell for their produce across the country.

He added that Shoprite stores in Zambia and Mozambique, will also be selling these fruits and vegetables from Malawi.

However, Amit said the local market will be the priority with only the surplus going to the other markets in order to generate and save foreign exchange for the country.

Inosselia Agro Country Director, Michael Gorelik, added that the company and the farm project are dedicated to support and assist the Goverment of Malawi and neighbouring communities in implementing corporate social responsibility projects.

“For instance, Inosselia is partnering with Standard Bank to establish smaller greenhouses dedicated to training and knowledge transfer. This will be part and parcel of the non-farm training center components,” he said.

Inosselia Commercial Limited owns 51 percent stake in the project with government owning the remaining 49 percent in the project valued at US$5.5 million (about K4 billion).

Liked this article? Subscribe to Food Business Africa News, our regular email newsletters with the latest news insights from Africa and the World’s food and agro industry. SUBSCRIBE HERE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.