Refresco to expand presence in German beverage market with acquisition of Hansa-Heeman

GERMANY – Refresco, the world’s largest independent bottler of beverages, has entered into an agreement to acquire Hansa-Heemann, a German independent beverage manufacturer that specializes in the production and bottling of mineral water and CSDs. 

A majority of the company’s volume (60%) is in mineral water, with the remaining 40% in carbonated soft drinks. 

The independent bottler has five production sites across Germany and serves three different market segments: private label, own brands, and contract manufacturing for A-brands. 

Hansa-Heeman reportedly has annual revenues of approximately €300 million (about US$355 million) and employs over 800 people. 

ADVERT
MSC Cotton

According to a statement from the Dutch company, the deal forms part of its buy-and-build strategy and further enhances its position in terms of product and brand portfolio and geographical coverage. 

Refresco’s deal is timely as the European bottled water market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.39% during the forecast period, 2021-2026, according to recent data from Mordor Intelligence.  

Increasing consumer concerns regarding the consumption of contaminated tap water as well as the convenience of handling and mobility of the bottles are some of the prime factors contributing to the market growth, according to the market research firm. 

With the acquisition, Refresco will expand its offering in water and CSDs with brands such as Fūrst Bismarck, Hella, and St. Michaelis.  

Additionally, Hansa-Heemann’s acquisition will enable Refresco to strengthen its presence in Germany by broadening its relationship with German retailers, improving transport efficiencies, and reducing CO2 emissions. 

 “We are very much looking forward to welcoming Hansa-Heeman to Refresco. Our companies are a great fit and Hansa-Heeman’s expertise and capabilities will allow us to further improve our operational excellence,” said Hans Roelofs, CEO of Refresco Group.  

ADVERT

“In addition, this acquisition will further diversify our business and product offering, which will benefit our customers. Refresco Germany and Hansa-Heeman are highly complementary and through this acquisition, we will be able to offer nationwide coverage to German retailers.” 

Refresco did not disclose the terms of the transaction which it said would be subject to regulatory approval. 

Liked this article? Subscribe to Food Business Africa News, our regular email newsletters with the latest news insights from Africa and the World’s food and agro industry. SUBSCRIBE HERE

Other Posts Worth Reading

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.