KENYA – The period for food companies to submit their entries for the Africa FOODEX Awards 2019 has been announced, with the organisers confident that this year’s Awards will surpass last year’s record breaking participation by the manufacturing, retail and food service industry in the region.
Announcing the start of the process that will culminate with an African themed Gala Dinner on November 29, 2019 in Nairobi, Kenya, Francis Juma, the CEO of FoodWorld Media, the organisers of the Awards, has revealed that there is a lot in store this year at the ceremony for those planning to attend.
“Last year’s Awards process and ceremony opened new perspectives on the potential of the food industry in Africa. More than 500 attended the Awards ceremony, making this the largest networking event for food industry stakeholders, from bankers, manufacturers, retailers, suppliers to the industry and Government policy makers in attendance. It was truly, a wonderful occasion and we look forward to break this record this year,” said Juma.
“The food industry in Africa is not only growing but is also changing at such an astounding speed. The pace of investments and innovations is increasing substantially, and with it, consumer expectations are rising. In this changing environment, the Africa FOODEX Awards is a good platform to bring the industry stakeholders together once a year to identify new trends, seek new opportunities and network, while celebrating the gains made in the sector,” explained Juma
New categories, more countries to participate
According to the organisers, this year’s Awards process will have a number of improvements, chief of which is the addition of the Advertising Campaigns of the Year category, to celebrate the efforts by food companies to reach out to their ultimate judges: consumers, through regular (print, TV, radio, billboards etc) or digital or social media advertising campaigns.
The sustainability initiatives has been expanded, with the splitting of water, energy and waste management initiatives, plus the addition of the Sustainable Communities category, to encourage companies to share their community impact projects
In the Plant of the Year categories, the Animal Feed Plant of the Year has been added, to reflect the growing investments in animal feed manufacturing facilities in Africa.
Further, in a major change, companies from across sub-Saharan Africa (excluding South Africa) are being encouraged to send in their entries, from last year’s 8 countries that were allowed to participate.
This move will spread the impact of the Awards ceremony, providing the utmost opportunity for the food, beverage and milling industry in Africa to gather together to celebrate the very best and to network with peers from the industry, suppliers, retailers, Government officials and other stakeholders, better than any other event in the region,” explains Juma.
More sponsors on board
This year’s Awards ceremony has already received sponsorship by a number of suppliers to the food industry, adding a stronger impetus to the ceremony and the process.
These companies include ingredients solutions suppliers Palsgaard, Kerry Ingredients and Promaco, plus sustainability solutions provider Diversey. More sponsors are expected on board, as the process commences in earnest.
Ultimate networking platform in Africa
This edition of the Africa FOODEX Awards ceremony is planned for November 29, 2019 at the Safari Park Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya. The awards entries process ends on September 30, 2019.
More than 600 people are expected to attend the region’s largest gathering of the who and who in Africa’s food manufacturing, retail and food service, Government agencies, academicians and researchers, suppliers, bankers, private equity and investment fund managers and more.
Last winners at the Africa FOODEX Awards included leading industry titans Kevin Ashley Founder, Java Restaurants; Said Salim Bakhresa, Founder & Chairman, Bakhresa Group; Khalid Mohammed, Founder & Group Chairman, Trade Kings Group; Dr. Carl Irwin Former CEO, Zambeef Products PLC; and Mustafa Awel, Managing Director, Mullege PLC, Ethiopia.
In the competitive categories, leading companies including East African Breweries Ltd (EABL), Coca-Cola Beverages Africa Kenya, Fairy Bottling, Zambia; Kenchic Ltd, Africa Improved Foods Ltd, Wrigley’s East Africa Ltd, Bio Food Products, New KCC and Proctor & Allan, among others took the accolades for their unique plants new products and initiatives.
The following categories are available for the 2019 edition of the Awards:
1) NEW PRODUCTS OF THE YEAR CATEGORIES
- Dairy Product of the Year
- Milled, Cereals & Pulses Product of the Year
- Bakery & Snack Product of the Year
- Frozen, Chilled & Fresh Product of the Year
- Soft Beverage Product of the Year
- Alcoholic Beverage Product of the Year
- Coffee, Tea & other Hot Beverages Product of the Year
- Sugar & Confectionery Product of the Year
- Culinary & Condiments Product of the Year
- New Product of the Year – Packaging Innovation
- New Product of the Year – Ingredients Innovation
- New Product of the Year – Nutrition Innovation – NEW!
ELIGIBILITY: Food manufacturers only
2) NEW PLANTS OF THE YEAR CATEGORIES
- Dairy Plant of the Year
- Milling Plant of the Year
- Animal Feed Plant of the Year – NEW!
- Alcoholic Beverage Plant of the Year
- Soft Beverage Plant of the Year
- Tea, Coffee & other Hot Beverages Plant of the Year
- Bakery & Snack Plant of the Year
- Frozen, Chilled & Fresh Plant of the Year
- Culinary & Condiments Plant of the Year
- Food Safety Champion Plant of the Year – NEW!
- Plant Design Champion of the Year – NEW!
ELIGIBILITY: Food and animal feed manufacturers only
3) SUSTAINABILITY INITIATIVES OF THE YEAR CATEGORIES
- Sustainable Energy Management Initiative of the Year
- Sustainable Water Management Initiative of the Year
- Sustainable Waste Management Initiative of the Year
- Sustainable Communities Initiative of the Year – NEW!
ELIGIBILITY: Food and animal feed manufacturers, retailers and food service operators
4) ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS OF THE YEAR CATEGORIES
- Advertising Campaign of the Year (Regular) – NEW!
- Digital Advertising Campaign of the Year – NEW!
ELIGIBILITY: Food and animal feed manufacturers
According to the organisers, to place a nomination, one must log onto the Awards website on www.awards.foodbusinessafrica.com to fill the online application forms.
Those entries that make it past the first screening stage will be taken through a rigorous judging process that could also include site visits, interviews and discussions with the team behind the application.
The final winners will be announced at the glitzy awards ceremony on November 29, 2019 in Nairobi, Kenya.